The listing of the “six principles of Green Extraction of Natural Products” should be viewed for industry and scientists as a direction to establish an innovative and green label, charter and standard, and as a reflection to innovate not only in process but in all aspects of solid-liquid extraction:
- Principle 1: Innovation by selection of varieties and use of renewable plant resources.
- Principle 2: Use of alternative solvents and principally water or agro-solvents.
- Principle 3: Reduce energy consumption by energy recovery and using innovative technologies.
- Principle 4: Production of co-products instead of waste to include the bio- and agro-refining industry.
- Principle 5: Reduce unit operations and favour safe, robust and controlled processes.
- Principle 6: Aim for a non denatured and biodegradable extract without contaminants.
Chemat, F., Vian, M. A., & Cravotto, G. (2012). Green extraction of natural products: concept and principles. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 13(7), 8615-8627.